[Cialug] NIC Bonding under Linux/Debian

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Thu Mar 25 22:07:04 CDT 2010

I'm working on setting up NIC bonding on a Debian machine using several different pages I found via Google.

I'm hopeful that Bonding will give me more throughput and fault tolerance.

The configuration below seems to work, but it does not work automatically.  During boot the bond0 interface seems to time out during DHCP.  But once I login I can enter 'dhclient bond0' and it picks up an address and seems to be ready to go.  I shouldn't have to add dhclient to the interfaces file should I?

Anybody have a working 'bonding' interfaces file they could share?  Are there any better modes or techniques for bonding I should look at instead?

Thanks.

-Nate

This is what I have in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases

alias bond0 bonding
alias eth0 sky2
alias eth1 sky2
options bonding mode=0 miimon=100

I'm wondering about some of the directives in the interfaces file, here is an excerpt:

allow-hotplug eth0
allow-hotplug eth1
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet dhcp