[Cialug] Fwd: City of Ankeny: Ankeny has caught the Google bug; intends to compete for Google ultra high-speed broadband opportunity

Matt Stanton inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com
Wed Mar 24 19:23:53 CDT 2010

Yeah, but the lottery ticket mentality is what google is looking for.
They want the whole damn city to be buying fiber internet from them,
because competing with existing phone and cable providers is a pain in
the ass.  If the city council backs you, then you can build the
infrastructure on the fast-track, too, instead of having to wait months
for them to call fifteen votes with community blahblahblah at council
meetings before you 'might' be approved.

Sure, they'll have to deal with that later, because it can't continue
being a members-only test market ploy, but if the next town over has
google fiber, and your town doesn't, guess where all the kids and
techies are going to move?  Google has always been good at marketing
their stuff.  If you can get over the fact that they spy on you enough
to know everything about you, their stuff is useful and works.