[Cialug] 1GHz Athlon, Linux Mint, poor video

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Tue Mar 23 14:43:52 CDT 2010

Kendall Bailey wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:43 AM, David Champion <dave at dchamp.net
> <mailto:dave at dchamp.net>> wrote:
>
>     Run the "xvidtune" command while in X, will show you what driver
>     you're
>     currently using.
>
>     -dc
>

> Ran it, but no mention of "driver" anywhere in the output, or in the
> GUI windows that pop up.
>
> Kendall

Oops... I was thinking it did, been a while since I looked.

You should be able to find something in /var/log... on the FC12 box I'm
looking at now, it's in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, shows various driver and
setting info.

I'd be careful about buying a used card - video cards often start going
bad, and the problems may not show up until you run something intensive
on it for a while and get it good and hot.

You can get a really good new card, something that's not quite top of
the line any more. Check out the deals on Newegg (or Tigerdirect if
you're brave). As others have mentioned, make sure you get the right
kind of card for your motherboard.

-dc