[Cialug] media center

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Tue Mar 16 11:53:53 CDT 2010

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Matthew Nuzum wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has some experience doing the parts of this. I am
> going to invest some money and would like it to work as painlessly as
> possible. I need to:

A good start would be MythBuntu, ..

> Choose where to get my content: mediacom, dish, directv (other?)

Unfortunately, when I tried it with Charer, it was not possible without
a cable box. All the HD channels are encrypted, .. and even cable card
would not receive all the HD channels.

> How should I record the content: hdhomerun, pci/usb tv tuner (other?)

There are a number of PVR cards, however if you want HD know that you will
most likely require a box, ..

> Oh, and one last question... how does a person hook something like this up
> to surround sound? Do you plug your devices into the TV and then use the
> TV's output into your stereo system? I'm really new to HD.

If you're building an entire system start with a HD receiver to decode
surround successfully and switch HDMI inputs.

	HTH,

	Lee