[Cialug] SOT: Generic time tracking program for LAMP?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Mar 16 11:45:40 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com>wrote:

> Does anyone use or know of a really generic time tracking application for
> the LAMP stack.  I'm looking for something barebones, primitive that can
> record projects and then keep track of time spent on them and perhaps
> generate some kind of report.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

Hi, the technique we use can probably be applied to lots of systems. We have
a tag for days spent on a project, but it could be hours spent as easily. So
for example, if we spend 4 days then we give an issue a tag of sp-4. Half a
day is sp-0.5.

Then we use scripts to query the API of our software for closed tasks in a
certain time range and use the sp-* tags to figure how long it took.

Since tags are such a common feature, if this workflow works for you then
you can choose a tool you like for other reasons and then bolt this in on
top. We use launchpad.net but I'll bet you could use github, trac, wordpress
or whatever.

--
Matthew Nuzum