[Cialug] virtualbox

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Sun Mar 7 09:50:45 CST 2010

Dave Hala Jr wrote:
> Did you find that when converting from a dd image to a vdi, that both
> files ended up being about the same size?

As usual, YMMV:

In my situation, the original drive was 40GB raw, the vdi image from the raw dd
image was about 29GB, and 'compact'ing after clearing the slack space brought it
down to 12GB. Without clearing the slack space, compacting the 29GB image
resulted in about the same size (29GB). The installed OS footprint was less than
8GB.

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym, Dept. of Computer Science           /\\