[Cialug] virtualbox

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Sun Mar 7 09:32:38 CST 2010

Dave Hala Jr wrote:
> Is there
> someway that I can make a new vdi, that is closer to the 40gb size?

Having recently shrunk several images here, the command that does somewhat of
what you're looking for is:

VBoxManage modifyvdi your.vdi compact

I quantified the above with "somewhat" because it takes some preparation to get
good results.  The key thing is to make sure that the slack space on your image
is zeroed out.  There are many howto's to explain how to do this with Windows
systems, but I got good results by making an all-zero vdi target and
subsequently (a) rsync'ing the root filesystem over, (b) installing grub to the
new MBR (b2) [optional] boot to verify it works, and then (c) compacting.

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym, Dept. of Computer Science           /\\