[Cialug] Pycon 2010 networking

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Mar 5 11:28:09 CST 2010

Have you ever wondered what it takes to manage a wireless network for
hundreds or thousands of users? I've thought about it a few times.
When I travel I often have my laptop, my cell phone and my ipod that
all will be happy to connect to an available wireless net. It's pretty
uncommon for the hotel to be able to handle all of the guests trying
to connect in the evenings, and I'm not referring to bandwidth -
getting an IP is often hard. (though bandwidth is also a bit
frustrating during peak times once you do get an IP)

Here's a report from the network administrator of the pycon conference
about this year's network configuration and the problems he faced and
largely overcame. I believe I heard there were a bit over 1,000
attendees.