[Cialug] DVD+R or DVD-R or DVD-RAM

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 09:43:04 CST 2010

It's been a while since I have done it, but in the past I used DVD+R
discs and a hacked firmware on an NEC burner to set the booktype  to
DVD-ROM -- which is the standard that *ALL* dvd players have to honor to
be called a dvd player. This is the booktype that store-bought video
discs are set to. This was a few years back, and was on XP, but a quick
google shows that linux ought to be able to do this too. DVD+RW supports
this, too, so if you want to burn and then toss it in a PC to change the
book type, that ought to work just fine.

http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

Jeff