[Cialug] Android Issue?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jun 30 15:05:13 CDT 2010

Unlike Apple, Google doesn't try to lock down what you install on the phone
using your computer and a USB cable. It's quite easy (and free) to "test"
software on your own mobile device and you can even share your work with
others to "test" on theirs.

The market has much higher quality controls, and like others have said, are
much more permissive with what they allow.

For example, most vendors don't let you tether your phone w/out an add on
service but you can still get pdanet in the market that lets you circumvent
the carriers restrictions. You have to jailbreak your iphone to get this
capability. And you have to pay $100 /year to get a developer account which
lets you install software on your iphone that doesn't come through the
itunes app store.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Josh More
<MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net>wrote:

> So, for those of you who have Android, do you know of a way to block this:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/28/google_remote_android_application_install/
>
> This was one of the reasons I was leaning towards Android over iPhone.  Now
> they're both back to being kinda sucky.  (Admittedly, from a "company
> playing a parent" perspective, Apple is a lot worse.)
>
> -Josh More, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, GIAC-GCIH, RHCE, NCLP
> morej at alliancetechnologies.net
> 515-245-7701

Matthew Nuzum

"Never stop learning" –Robert Nuzum (My dad)