[Cialug] Kiosk suggestions?

Crouse crouse at usalug.net
Tue Jun 29 19:53:15 CDT 2010

Actually, j.bengtson has the best idea.  Live CD is the way to go for
a kiosk. Zero maintence once it's setup, doesn't require a hard drive.
A backup is easy to make.... just copy the cd ;)  Pushing the "off"
button would be the easiest, simplest method to reset your system, and
it's pretty intuitive even for people not used to computers.

My Personal pick: http://www.slax.org/

You should really look at Slax... boots up faster from the cd than
most distro's do from a hard drive, you don't need a hard drive, and
is easily remastered.

HowTo: Create a Boot-From-CD Browser Kiosk with Firefox and SLAX Linux 5.1.8
http://www.ehartwell.com/TechNotes/KioskModeSLAXBootCD.htm

The above article might give some insight and ideas for you as well.

FWIW, Slax is my favorite "Live Linux",   I always have a slax cd
around, it's so handy, and can fit on a 80mm small cd.  Put that in a
52x cdrom drive, and it's really fast ;)  If you haven't actually
tried Slax, give it a shot, see what you think of it's speed.

You want even faster, put the iso file on a usb key and boot from the
usb drive (assuming your computer's bios will allow booting from usb).

A totally different choice:  Don't want to mess with the configuration at all ?
http://webconverger.com/buy/    I think it's $150 plus if you want any
modifications they can do that for you too.
Never tried them, but it's another "option" to think about I guess.

Good luck, I'd be interested to know what you finally end up doing,
and how it works out. Keep us posted  :)

Crouse

USA Linux Users Group
http://usalug.org