[Cialug] [OT] Compilation problem

Kendall Bailey kendall at baileyplex.com
Tue Jun 29 11:29:55 CDT 2010

Depends on the way libjpeg.so is linked.  Here's an article that covers the
basics:

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html

If each version of libjpeg has a distinct soname, then the trick is to get
the compilation/link steps to find (1) the header files for the version you
want to link to and (2) a symlink called libjpeg.so that points to the
libjpeg.so.X.Y you want to link to.

To find the soname of a shared object file you can use:

   objdump -x /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.so.62 | grep SONAME

I have no experience with building PHP so I don't know how hard it will be
to configure the build process to look for headers and library files in
non-standard locations.  I suspect the --with-jpeg-dir= option is for the
header files.  That dir probably needs an include/ folder with the headers
in it.  Perhaps it also could have a lib/ folder with the sym-link to actual
shared library you want to link to?  Otherwise perhaps there's another
config option for the link step.

Kendall

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu