[Cialug] Chrome: Download vs View

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Jun 21 08:41:30 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I'm using Chrome and I click on a PDF link, it downloads it to my
> download directory (~todd) and then displays it.  With Firefox, when I
> click on a PDF link it just displays it and keeps the file tucked away
> in a temp directory.
>
> Is this just a setting I missed?  It seems like rather silly behavior
> to not differentiate between 'view' and 'download'.

A lot of software suffers from "option-itis" where a user is presented with
many options to chose from. In the effort to simplify programs many options
are being hidden and instead the "mostly likely" choice is made. I suspect
this is what's happening here. I've certainly seen many people confused by
the option to download or open.

I'd say in most cases, fewer items to choose from is better for users in the
long-run. I do think it's odd that in chrome it merely downloads the PDF
instead of opening it. I guess the designers chose to train users by
pointing the big arrow at the downloading file.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought."
–Matsuo Bashō