[Cialug] Making a bootable USB

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Jun 7 17:12:49 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 4:57 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> Been trying to make a bootable thumb drive, .. the OpenSuSe site says that
> dd should work, but I have tried three different bootable .iso's, and none
> of the thumb drives boot.
>
> Does anyone know the secret?

I recently had to make a usb drive bootable from Windows and found this:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

It supports many different linux distros.

In Ubuntu I use "usb-creator" which works flawlessly but I'm not sure it has
the same level of os support as the pendrivelinux util.

I've followed tutorials in the past that used dd and they always seem to
have a step with syslinux in them.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought."
–Matsuo Bashō