[Cialug] Using dd and netcat to move a disk

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 19:01:11 CDT 2010

Here's a tip when using dd for long copies. In a separate shell or
screen session on the system which is running dd, run the following
command as the same user running the dd process (usually root):

    watch -n 20 pkill -USR1 ^dd$

This sends a signal to the running dd process which causes it to
output its progress on its own tty. Very useful, but not sure what
that will do when piped into netcat. I believe the output is to
standard error, which should not effect the data going through the
pipe.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Zachary Kotlarek <zach at kotlarek.com> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
>
>> Thanks gents.  I just wasn't being patient, it did finish, must have had to spool out a buffer?
>

> Yeah, the pipe is buffered, and netcat has some buffers too, while stderr is not. When you add in the network delay it could be a while between when dd "finishes" and when all the data is actually written out to the network.
>
>        Zach

Tired programmer
Coding late into the night
The core dump follows