[Cialug] Troubleshooting high latency/low speed

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Jul 26 17:23:20 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Tom Pohl <tom at tcpconsulting.com> wrote:

> Is it virtualized?  Is it possible that other hosts on that same virtual
> server are starving you out for IO or CPU?
>
> -Tom

Yes, it is virtualized. It's a xen dom0 with three domu's running. Total
server ram is 2G and each guest is using 512MB. Practically no swap is being
used in any except the guest that actually has something active but the swap
appears to be mostly just idle stuff. There's a significant amount of free
RAM available. Load average is low on all.

I can duplicate the slow http access to content in both VMs that I tested on
(the one that is active and one that is newly created and idle) which leads
me to believe it's something either related to the entire server or the
network that the server is on.

/me tests with another server on the same network...

I cannot duplicate the problem with another server on the same network which
indicates it's a problem specific to this one computer.

Any tell-tale signs of problems I should look for?

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Never stop learning" –Robert Nuzum (My dad)