[Cialug] DSL speeds

bofh at visi.com bofh at visi.com
Wed Jul 21 23:36:21 CDT 2010

Reading through this and the fiber thread, reminds me of
how disappointed I am of how far behind the 8-ball Qwest
is. Although most of it is expected from experience and
some of it is understandable due to circumstances. For
instance, when I spoke to a Qwest person about higher
speeds this spring, they  said a lot of the delay was due
to the capital budget of Qwest Iowa getting wiped out from
rebuilding eastern Iowa after the floods of 2008 (remember
Waterloo/CF, Waverly, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City?).

But still my parents have IowaTelecom/Wind-whatever and
even though I've only got them at 1.5Mbps, they can get up
to 12.  And a guy in my hometown has the full 15 Mb/s down
and something like 5 Mb/s up from them for his business.
Of course, he's paying for it, but it's not an outrageous
price ($125-150 or so IIRC).

Add to this, a colleague out in the boonies of a western
state (and I mean the boonies) has a 6 Mb/s down, 3 Mb/s
up wireless link. He would have DSL, but he's about .5
miles out of range. And he's paying less than I am with
1.5 Mb/s Qwest DSL.

And when we consider all the mom and pops around Iowa,
many of whom (like HuxTel) have FTTH...well, 1.5/3/7/12/20
Mb/s down might compare, but 768 Kb/s up is simply an
intentional insult.