[Cialug] Fiber Optics Network Maps...

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Wed Jul 21 13:52:42 CDT 2010

When a cell phone tower was installed near my house they were going to use fiber.  It was a Sprint tower and Sprint had a fiber line on the other side of the road, but they decided it was easier to use a microwave relay to another tower that already had fiber to it than install about 100 yards of fiber to their own line.  The official reason was it was too difficult to get a permit to push a pipe under the road.  I don't know if that was the real reason or not.  There were two more fibers on my side of the road, but they belonged to competing companies.

So, I've got 4 fiber conduits running in front of my house, there is one on the power line as well, and I can't get a connection better than 22K on dialup unless you go to a satellite connection.

Murray McKee
Operating Systems Engineer
WFFIS - Wells Fargo Financial Information Systems
800 Walnut Street
MAC F4030-037
Des Moines, IA 50309-3605
WORK (515)557-6127 Cell (515) 343-6630  FAX (515) 557-6046
MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com
"This message may contain confidential and / or privileged information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation."