[Cialug] Fiber Optics Network Maps...

David Runneals david at runneals.com
Wed Jul 21 12:33:51 CDT 2010

@jim I know Qwest runs fiber along UP rail lines... we have one going though
our town, so you could find a farm close to a UP line... basically when your
looking for farms, go around the perimeter (usually by the road) they have
warning signs posted, warning of underground fiber... I think I have seen
that they run them along rural roads (or that could have been purely
telephone)... We all know that the companies (Qwest, Mediacom, Verizon,
Windstream, INS, etc) all keep the best maps for them selves... Good luck!!
Links are below of maps:

http://www.iowatelecom.net/images/itc-connect-map.pdf - Iowa Telecom
(windstream)
http://www.fiberutilities.com/documents/FG_Press_Release_An_Interstate_Fiber_Utility_Whitepaper_021010.pdf-
not in place yet...
http://www.icn.state.ia.us/aboutus/images/FIBER%20(generalized)%20%20LEASED_CONNECTIONS.pdf-
ICN
http://www.iowanetworkservices.com/resources/20/iowa_statewide_fiber_map.jpg-
INS

http://www.broadband.gov/maps/availability.htm - check this too... I'm
REALLY surprised about Iowa, since most of the land is rural...

I have asked Windstream (Iowa telecom merger) if they have a detailed map of
their connections in Iowa... I'm surprised there isn't a better one for the
public...

David Runneals
E: david at runneals.com
W: runneals.com