[Cialug] DSL speeds

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Jul 20 17:07:50 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Ed Kraus <eykraus at gmail.com> wrote:

> i can get 160kb/ps when i use DAP (download accelerator plus)...

Depending on how it works, that's not too surprising. Web pages (and their
related css / js) are highly compressible with no loss. If it also uses
image compression and scaling then there will be a loss of quality in the
graphics to gain further speed-ups.

Another thing you can do in this scenario if you have multiple computers in
your house is to install a transparent squid proxy.

I'd hope that a VPN client would also use some equivalent of SSH compression
to get similar benefits to DAP.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Never stop learning" –Robert Nuzum (My dad)