[Cialug] TinyURL

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Jul 16 10:26:29 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> And another reason I hate this tinyurl thing... I know someone on a
> list I'm on referenced a certain site.  Can I search my email for
> links to that site?  Nooooo*.  They used a freakin' tinyurl or bitly
> or whatever.

They serve a purpose. Regarding your complaint, URLs without context are
evil, really. It doesn't matter if the link is to a shortening service or to
some random website. It is my humble opinion that URLs themselves should
give an indication of the content, and if they can't (or even if they do)
should include a summary to accompany them. I would classify the failure to
do this along the same lines as someone who top-posts.

(this was meant with a tiny bit of humour because I was top-posting when I
composed that paragraph)

Regarding choosing a service for url shortening, I use services that provide
preview links for people who care about such things. So I generally use
bit.ly or is.gd, both of which give you a preview if you append a + to the
end of the URL. With tinyurl you can pre-pend the subdomain "preview" and
get the same.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Never stop learning" –Robert Nuzum (My dad)