[Cialug] Anyone using an SSD?

Don Cady doncady at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 11:40:28 CST 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Eric Junker <eric at eric.nu> wrote:
> On 1/10/2010 1:31 PM, Rob Miller wrote:
>> I've been curious about SS-drives for several years.  I just finished
>> reading the Anandtech article and I want to buy one.  Anyone on the list
>> have any advice?  Thanks.
>
> I'd love to have an SSD drive but last time I checked Linux doesn't
> support the TRIM command which is important to prevent performance
> degradation over time. Anybody know when Linux will support TRIM?
>
> Eric

For those willing to run on the edge, the short answer looks to be: soon.

2.6.28 added the initial block device code, but alas, it was only
enough for certain scsi disk arrays. The good news is it looks like
libata is getting the first patch to add trim support for sata in .33.
Ext4 and Btrfs have been getting the required code for a couple
versions, and it looks like good 'ol Fat will join them in .33.
Initially, it'll all be "off" by default, but if you want to be one of
the testers, there are probably mount options to enable it.

Don