[Cialug] SATA Bits

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon Jan 25 18:57:07 CST 2010

On Jan 25, 2010, at 6:43 PM, jrnosee at gmail.com wrote:

> I don't remember if I asked this already or not, but does this require a certain SATA chipset or other requirement on the host?  Does it have to plug into eSATA?

It requires a SATA controller that supports port multipliers, otherwise you can only see the first device.

I know the Sil3124 and Sil2132 chips support it. Probably others as well, but it wasn't part of the original SATA spec, so not everything does. And I have yet to find a SAS controller that will use SATA port multipliers.

It doesn't have to be eSATA -- the multipliers are fairly compact and could be installed internally -- but the input is an eSATA port, so you'd nee the appropriate cabling.

	Zach