[Cialug] DSL and wireless

Tom Sellers tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 23 09:20:31 CST 2010

See response below.

--- On Wed, 1/20/10, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> From: Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org>
> Subject: Re: [Cialug] DSL and wireless
> To: "Central Iowa Linux Users Group" <cialug at cialug.org>
> Date: Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 9:11 AM
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:11 AM,
> Zachary Kotlarek <zach at kotlarek.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Also the Kernel is 2.4.31 which someone asked
> also.
> >

> > That kernel is much too old (June 2005) to have the
> Intel drivers built-in. I'm not sure if there are even Intel
> WiFi drivers available for the 2.4 kernel. But if there are
> you'll find them here:
> >        http://intellinuxwireless.org/
> >
> > If you're planning to run anything like a desktop
> system, or want to use udev, or want access to modern
> drivers, you really should consider a 2.6 kernel.

I will look at the DSL site and see what is available.

> There is DSL-N, made by the same group but too big to meet
> the
> original goals of DSL. Details are at http://tinyurl.com/ydp83hr
>
> However, it's still DSL. I'm curious why you chose that
> one. It's not
> exactly the epitome of user-friendliness.

I searched for a USB Stick version of Linux and found this one. No particular reason other than that.  My orginal intent was to be able to run a version of Linux from a USB stick so I could just plug it in and boot on the laptop that I use at work.

As I believe I have stated before, I know very little about linux and thus far my experience has not been a positive one.