[Cialug] simple Linux laptop needed

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Jan 21 08:13:08 CST 2010

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Matt Stanton wrote:

> I can't say enough good about the HP Mini 1030NR that I got, running
> Ubuntu Karmic (9.10).  Everything works out of the box, and it's pretty
> reasonably fast for a netbook.

I agree 99% - the only caveat I would add is to *TRY* and ensure you get
an Intel WiFi chipset. I borrowed an 1115NR for a vacation last June, and
had no problems at all; when I purchased on in November, it came with a
Broadcom chipset.

It DOES work OK, but half the time when switching from secure to unsecure
AP I have to reboot the machine.

One suggest was made to replace the network manager, but since it was
working (after a fashion), I have not done that.

I would also highly recommend Netbook Remix - it excells at optimizing
use of the samll screen.

> The main reason I got the HP was for the keyboard buttons being 93% of
> full-size.  It helps with the fat-finger typing I'm so fond of
> accidentally performing. :P

Confirmed.

	Lee