[Cialug] New hosting solution

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Jan 20 15:45:25 CST 2010

I pay for Flickr.  I get unlimited storage, a pretty good UI and it
costs me $20 a year.  Sure, it more than Matt's $1/mo... but not by
much.

I used to run my own server, but after being screwed over by both Quest
and MidAmerican Energy, dealing with spam issues, and such... I find it
easier to outsource.  It may also be that after having been a sysadmin
type for over a decade, I don't much want to be one at home anymore.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Daniel A. Ramaley" <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> 01/20/10 3:33 PM >>>
I think the 3 GB might be more of a problem since they have a 1 GB
limit.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a personal server that has a few GB
of my own photos up for my family to view. Amount of CPU/bandwidth used
is very low. But the storage is a bit high. So far i've never seen a
hosted plan that is cheaper than just running my own server because
every plan always provides too little storage space.

On 2010-01-20 at 15:29:10, Afan Pasalic wrote:
> [...]
>> being run, etc.) are not encouraged. Any application that listens
>> for inbound network connections (even if the application would
>> otherwise be allowed) are not permitted. BitTorrent clients, proxy
>> servers/scripts, IRC bots and bouncers (BNC) specifically may not be
>> run on any DreamHost Web Hosting server. If your processes are
>> adversely affecting server performance disproportionately DreamHost
>> Web Hosting reserves the right to negotiate additional charges with
>> the Customer and/or the discontinuation of the offending processes.
>>
>> From GoDaddy :
>>
>> You agree Go Daddy reserves the right to remove Your web site
>> temporarily or permanently from its servers if Go Daddy is the
>> recipient of activities that threaten the stability of its network.
>>
>> From 1&1 :
>>
>> 7.16.
>> You shall at all times use Web Site Space exclusively as a
>> conventional Web Site. You shall not use the Web Site Space or Your
>> Services in any way which may result in an excessive load on the 1&1
>> Equipment, including but not limited to installing or running web
>> proxies, using your allotted space as online backup or storage, or
>> mirroring mass downloads. Use of Web Site Space and Your Services
>> shall be in a manner consistent with this Agreement and shall not in
>> any way impair the functioning or operation of 1&1's Equipment or
>> network. Should your use of the 1&1 Services result in an overly
>> high load on the 1&1 Equipment, in 1&1's sole discretion, 1&1 may
>> suspend your account until the cause of any such overload is
>> determined and resolved.
>>
>> 14.4.
>> You further agree that in the event that 1&1 believes, in its sole
>> discretion, that you have breached any provision(s) of Section 7 of
>> this Agreement, or any of its subparts, by storing or allowing
>> material such as that described in the aforementioned Section 7, or
>> any of its subparagraphs, to be transmitted by 1&1's Equipment, that
>> 1&1 may without any liability to you, and in addition to any other
>> remedies, erase or purge such materials from 1&1's Equipment without
>> prior notice to you.
>>

>> I'd say that most, if not all hosting companies have some verbiage
>> in their TOS that allows them to disable and delete an account if it
>> is abusing the servers.  For a buck a month, I'm certainly going to
>> shut down a blog that has 10,000 readers and consistently puts a .3
>> load on a shared server.  Most websites don't do that though.  The
>> verbiage is there simply to let people know that they shouldn't try
>> to host kcci.com on a 1 dollar a month plan, or try to use their
>> site as an FTP dump.  I don't expect that I will immediately delete
>> any site that accidentally spikes the CPU due to unexpected load,
>> but I do want to have verbiage that lets me delete
>> iamagooglehacker.com from my server immediately when they try port
>> scanning all of googles servers from my datacenter.

Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 118, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu