[Cialug] Wine Distro Integration

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jan 20 15:21:09 CST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know that Wine has made a lot of progress in getting programs to
> run, and if I took the time to set it up and configure it it would
> work pretty well for most Windows programs.
>
> But... I wonder why I still have to set it up?  Why haven't distro
> maintainers picked up on this and integrated Wine into the rest of the
> distro like they have with the package manager or file browser or
> others?

I've bought Crossover Office, which you could argue is the premier
installation of Wine. I've used it on Ubuntu which is the distro many
of the Codeweavers devs use. You might say I've got pretty good
chances of getting the best-case scenario for it working. And yet, the
user experience is still rough.

Internet Explorer works OK. Older Photoshop and MS Office work OK. A
lot of programs work passably. A lot more programs don't work. Even
those that work best still feel odd. The file -> open dialogues are
not quite right. Fonts look bad.

It's not an awesome user experience. It's packaged for Ubuntu and
Debian and the packages work about as good as Crossover Office. It's
very easy to install.

--
Matthew Nuzum