[Cialug] wifi router

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Thu Jan 14 10:48:01 CST 2010

I've been pretty disappointed with Linksys wireless on the whole.  I'd recommend an Engenius access point but they are not a router.  Some of them actually come with a card explaining how to install openWRT should you choose to.  The existing firmware is also Linux based on many of them.  I'm not sure about the 802.11n versions though.  http://www.wlanparts.com/product/ECB-9500/ECB9500_600mW_80211bgn_Wireless_Access_Point_or_Client__ECB9500.html

Many engenius products support PoE and they are lasting in harsher environments much better than any Linksys did.  But again, they are not a router.

My Airport extreme is in the basement of a two story house and I have been really pleased with it.  Of course the non-Apple management tools are a PITA.  IT can be configured as a router.

I'm very interested in ruckus products. http://www.ruckuswireless.com/

Pfsense does not support 802.11n yet because FreeBSD does not support it yet.

Maybe somebody else will have some ideas for products you can actually use.  Sorry.

-Nate