[Cialug] fix resolution and refresh on Xubuntu

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Jan 7 15:01:04 CST 2010

There is a known problem with older Intel video chips. I looked at the
release notes for 9.10 and 9.04 and don't see an exact description of your
problem but I know the driver arch changed for intel cards and there were
regressions during the alphas.

If you have an intel card (before the 945 era) you may want to investigate
this.

Send more details and I can try to help you futher.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Tim Champion <timchampion at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running Xubuntu on an old HP Omnibook - 1ghz p3 & 128MB or RAM. Last
> time I did a distribution upgrade to 9.10, it screwed up my screen
> resolution (only can get 800x600 on an LCD that only likes 1024x768), and in
> the course of tryig to fix it, I made it worse so now even the external
> monitor can't handle the refresh rate I set it to (don't know what it was)
>
> To further my troubles, this thing won't boot from USB (yes, I updated the
> BOIS to the newest version), and the optical drive is pretty much dead.  I
> have a pxe server that I've been trying to get it to boot from, but I'm not
> having much luck there.
>
> What I CAN do is get to the recover console/menu with network/internet
> access. I tried the option for "repair broken packages" - didn't seem to do
> anything except go update my packages, which did nothting. can get to a
> command prompt from here, but I can't find any way to configure x outside of
> xwindows.  Most of the stuff I'm finding from google tells me to do a
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. I type that, and it just brings me back to
> another prompt with no errors.
>
> I want to know how to do is go through some kind of screen
> resolution/refresh wizard that will let me fix my settings.
>
> Also, I tried editing the xorg.conf manually, but most of the stuff is
> commented out saying:
> Commented out by update-manager, HAL is used now.
>
> and I don't see any screen resolutions listed there like I'm used to
> seeing.  Who wants to try and help?
>
> Tim Champion
> timchampion at gmail.com

Matthew Nuzum