[Cialug] Hardware stuff

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Jan 7 11:23:29 CST 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Josh More
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net>wrote:

> A lot of you are far better at the hardware side of things than I am, so
> I figure that a couple questions to the list will probably save me hours
> of trying things and getting them wrong.
>
> Situation:  I have a used IBM Thinkpad X60 that I am rebuilding with
> Linux.
>
> 1) There seems to be a built-in cellular card.  How do I determine which
> of the many cell providers to talk to about what it would take to
> activate it?

If it's a GSM modem then it is likely t-mobile or AT&T. A GSM modem will
have a sim card slot on it (a small smart-card like connector built for a
card slightly bigger than a micro-sd card).

If there's no SIM card it's likely Verizon or Sprint.

--
Matthew Nuzum