[Cialug] Hardware stuff

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Jan 7 10:31:01 CST 2010

A lot of you are far better at the hardware side of things than I am, so
I figure that a couple questions to the list will probably save me hours
of trying things and getting them wrong.

Situation:  I have a used IBM Thinkpad X60 that I am rebuilding with
Linux.

1) There seems to be a built-in cellular card.  How do I determine which
of the many cell providers to talk to about what it would take to
activate it?

2) It has a battery that MAY be impacted by the Sony battery recall way
back when, but the IBM tool that autodetermines that is Windows-only.  I
suppose I could figure out how to make a Windows boot disk to run the
tool, but I was hoping that someone might know of a detailed list that I
can compare serial numbers against.

Anyone have any advice here?

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net