[Cialug] $PATH command resolution

Kenneth Younger kyounger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 21:48:58 CST 2010

This seems to me like it would be fairly well known / easily findable
solution, but I have been searching for a while and couldn't find anything.
Plus I didn't feel like doing surgery on my $PATH unless I knew 100% that I
wouldn't screw something up.

Anywho, here it is: How is a command that shows up in multiple entries of
your $PATH resolved? Or does that cause some sort of collision that can
break things badly?

My hope is that it is hierarchical - if a path is nearer the beginning of
the line, that it would use that command first.

Anyone?

Thanks,
-Kenny