[Cialug] Job Posting - Linux Admin

jrnosee at gmail.com jrnosee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 12:44:44 CST 2010

Well I'm just going to jump out there on this one. After reading through the
emails and "mock" descriptions I'm going to see if I "fit" based on some of
your opinions. (Though I'm reserving the right to decide if I would throw my
resume in the "hat")

Requirement: Associates Degree in IT
Have: Bachelors in Computer Science (from Central College in Pella)

Requirement: 3+ years server/network admin
Have: years of DIY @ home server & network experience.
I'm running a ubuntu server running VMWare* and hosting Samba shares for my
home network
VMWare: Running:

   - Primary Web Server - hosting 2 domains + 1 subdomain (Webserver only:
   PHP/Joomla on Apache.  NO EMAIL HOSTING) and passing through requests to
   Secondary Web Server.
   - Secondary Web Server - hosting 1 domain.  Running my Church's website
   while they go through some tech upgrades.  Also no email hosting.
   - Various embedded/Android development hosts
   - Test box for Josh's new "troublemaking" project

As for networking experience, I can fumble my way around a managed switch
and I know basic routing, but I run DDWRT so I have no formal CISCO
experience or anything of the like.

Requirement: Experience with Unix/Linux servers and VoIP/PBX required
Have: Ok, this is where I hit the "I installed X on Y once."  I did some
VoIP/PBX research a while back.  I really did once install an asterisk based
PBX on a dell running ubuntu server once.  I was using it along with some
bluetooth dongles so that if our cell phones rang it would ring our regular
household telephone line (as well as some VoIP softphones).  It worked until
I found a nice small box for $35 that would do the same thing.  I had done
some other tests with Asterisk before as well.  Minimal knowledge of DS3
etc.

Requirement: Knowledge of routers, firewalls, and switches
Have: see above in network admin....