[Cialug] kubuntu 9.10 & grub

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun Feb 21 21:09:39 CST 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 3:04 PM, David Champion <dave at dchamp.net> wrote:

> I installed Kubuntu 9.10 on a dual-boot laptop, where I want the primary
> OS to be the WinXP on it (just experimenting with it).
>
> After the installation, it defaults to Kubuntu, and Windows is the last
> menu options.

This won't help you, but for those who want to try one of the Ubuntu
derivatives and need to primarily use Windows, check out wubi, the Windows
Ubuntu installer. You can install Ubuntu or Kubuntu on your PC w/out
partitioning and it will use the Windows boot menu instead of grub. If you
decide you don't like it you can uninstall the same as you would any Windows
program (using add/remove programs in the control panel).

Also, the wubi.exe file will download the CD image for you using a better
mirror selection algorithm than the website offers, potentially giving you a
faster download experience.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-wubi

The experience has improved a lot in the last year (in case you've tried it
before and were underwhelmed).

--
Matthew Nuzum