[Cialug] kubuntu 9.10 & grub

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Sun Feb 21 15:04:20 CST 2010

I installed Kubuntu 9.10 on a dual-boot laptop, where I want the primary
OS to be the WinXP on it (just experimenting with it).

After the installation, it defaults to Kubuntu, and Windows is the last
menu options.

I looked around in the menus in Kubuntu, and didn't see a way to change
the grub menu. After searching the forums, it looks like there isn't
one... and you have to edit the grub config files to change it. Of course,
nobody seems to agree. i.e. they're saying to change GRUB_DEFAULT in
/boot/grub/grub.cfg, but there is no GRUB_DEFAULT.

Others say to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg, and change the:
set default="0"

... then you run update-grub, which apparently overwrites any changes I
made to grub.cfg. Nice.

Is there a gui to set up grub in Ubuntu / Kubuntu?

I guess I'm spoiled by using Mandriva, where there are gui config tools
for these things.

-dc