[Cialug] Editing crontabs from CLI - ncurses?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Feb 19 09:54:49 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 6:39 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> > Looking to setup a simple admin interface for scheduling, .. there are a
> > few X based tools (e.g. Visual Cron), .. but I would really like to avoid
> > comlicating matters with an X session on remote machines.
> >
> > A secondary goal is to setup management of cron tasks on a number of
> > remote machines.
> >
> > Anyone ever seen such a tool?
>
> "crontab -e" will bring up a text editor with the current crontab and
> allow you to edit it.  Read "man 5 crontab" for details on the format.

The way I started out was to use crontab -e and put a few commented examples
into the document for reference. I could then copy and paste one of the
examples and modify it to my tastes.

The crontab -e honours the user's default editor (nano, vi, emacs) so they
don't have to learn a new tool, they just use the one they're used to.

This rewards the users for getting comfortable with an editor and they can
use this same tool for managing postfix or samba or ldap or whatever.

--
Matthew Nuzum