[Cialug] School spying on students via webcam

Arne Quanbeck spam at arnequanbeck.com
Fri Feb 19 08:14:53 CST 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 8:01 AM, Paul Gray wrote:

>> One quick way to fix that is to install, or at least boot a live CD of,
>> your favorite Linux distro so this kind of issue doesn't affect you.
>>

> My understanding was that these were macs.

Live distros work fine on Macs too.

Interestingly, I have noticed on several different Macs the webcam being turned on and "in use" when no program the user launched was using it. Rebooting usually fixed the issue. I never found a program that was using the camera, but the issue seems to have gone away with Snow Leopard. Maybe they just don't mark it as used and turn on the light when spying on users now. ;)