[Cialug] Linux Nettops?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Feb 18 10:05:51 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Jonathan C. Bailey <
jbailey at co.marshall.ia.us> wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations for a nettop with an optical drive of
> any sort that is either preloaded with Linux, or works well with Linux?

I've not seen a nettop w/ a built in optical drive but the acer revo on
display at bestbuy does work fine with Linux. I booted it off my thumb drive
using Ubunut 9.10 and it worked nicely. I talked to the sales people about
maybe hooking it up to a high def TV to see if it worked well through HDMI.
They said they'd be fine w/ that if the store wasn't busy. I didn't have a
high def video w/ me at the time so did not do it right then but am thinking
about doing it soon.

It has ample USB ports so an external optical drive should work just fine.
It's a pretty good deal at $199 (it's based on the ion chipset so should
have good video performance). I hear it can also be upgraded to 2G of ram.

--
Matthew Nuzum