[Cialug] SOT: DHCP client address acquisition speed

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Thu Feb 18 09:43:11 CST 2010

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> What kinds of things on a network can affect the time it takes for a client to acquire a DHCP lease?
>
> When I PXE boot it seems to take 20-40 seconds for a machine to get a lease, is that "normal"?  Windows machines seem to pick up leases in a reasonable amount of time.
>
> Does the architecture of the network - number of switches, etc, have a bearing on the time to get a DHCP lease?

When you PXE boot, you do a two-phase (a) here's your IP address, go ask
Bob for your boot image (b) here's your boot image from bob. The PXE
process isn't satisfied to just get an IP address, it waits and waits
for another server to chime in with a next-server response in the packet.

The tftp server (aka "Bob" above), when dishing up the image, traverses
the MAC and IP address byte-by-byte looking for an appropriate image to
server out. So there is added overhead involved in the PXE process over
just dhcp'ing an IP address.

I don't know if there's 20-40 seconds of extra overhead here, but
there's the potential of 20-40 seconds of overhead if the tftp server
isn't responding.

-PG