[Cialug] Writeup soon - ZFS SAN build

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 21:43:47 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Matt Breitbach
<matthewb at flash.shanje.com> wrote:
> I think to legally use Solaris you have to be running on SUN hardware.
> Since we will be using X86 standard hardware, we cannot legally run Solaris.
> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sun/Oracle has Solaris 10 for x86/x64 available for free download on their site.

I second johnl's recommendation about using Solaris.  From what I
understand, OpenSolaris is sort of like Fedora to Red Hat.
OpenSolaris is where they try out their new stuff and give it real
world experience before they put it into Solaris.

As it turns out, I'm in the middle of getting Solaris to run myself.
I have zero experience with it, but I'm eager to learn.  Right now I'm
trying to figure out how to correctly input name service information.
I told it DNS, and then I gave it an IP of a DNS server, but it says
"unable to find an address entry for unknown with the specified DNS
configuration".

--
Todd