[Cialug] Meeting Suggestion

Lance Pickett lancepickett00 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 17:02:09 CST 2010

John, well spoken, so here's a little more;

When someone from an all Windows shop starts coming to your meetings and wants to learn linux, take a little time to help him.  Don't answer his question about  the 60+ charcatar CLU you just typed in 10 seconds (which of course everyone BUT HIM totally understood), try answering with something that resembles English, rather than a brusk barely undertandable mumble that everyone in the room BUT HIM understands. They already know the answer.

And when he brings in his laptop, and you can't get his wifi card to work (Yes that's about a dozen or two linux wizards depending on the meeting of which about 2 tried for a while, and 1 or two chimed in their thoughts),  don't just say  something like  " go try an NDIS wrapper, where are we going for drinks"   To me that sounds like a NLM I use to load on my Netware servers.   Which  tells me you either can't  do it or don't care.    Either way, I'm on my own.

You guys have a ton of knowledge, and actually can speak quite well.  You just tend to leave everyone else in the dust.  After a while they take a different - less dusty road.
In my case I still play with the occasional ubuntu CD, but I don't have the time to learn linux as well as I can manage and lock down a windows box.

I still  hope to migrate one day, but  not before I can get all my windows apps working and KNOW I have a working firewall.   I still read this because you guys have some great ideas, and I can pick apart some your answers until I understand them.

Lance