[Cialug] sarge kernels

Aaron Porter atporter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 15:11:20 CST 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:46 AM,  <icepuck2k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Whats the easiest way to install a 2.6.x kernel in sarge?
> I have changed the sources.list for etch like everything I've found says to
> do.

Adding the sources.list for etch won't really help. If you're just
trying to get to *any* 2.6, you could add the "sarge backports" repo
but that'd only take you up to 2.6.18.

"deb http://archive.debian.org/backports.org sarge-backports main
contrib non-free"

and then "apt-get -t sarge-backports install kernel-image-2.6-686"

If you want to go newer than that and stay with sarge... that's a bit
more of an adventure. Especially with all the supporting software that
you'll want to change. What exactly are you trying to sovle?