[Cialug] Google Voice

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon Feb 1 22:47:45 CST 2010

On Feb 1, 2010, at 8:46 PM, Todd Walton wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Afan Pasalic <afan at afan.net> wrote:
>> I have three left.
>
> What are you guys using Google Voice for?  What is the draw for you?

I don't use Google Voice, but I suspect people like it for the same reasons I route all calls through my own phone server:

	Multi-destination routing -- rings my cell, desk, etc. based on my current location. Can also easily update to ring new numbers. My public phone number will never change.

	Source announcements -- when the phone rings I can tell if it's a call to my personal line, my work line, or my wife's line before I accept the call

	Time-of-day blocks -- you can't make my phone ring between midnight and 7 AM

	Source blocks --The ISU Foundation can no longer call me

	Voicemail-to-email/MMS/SMS -- No need to call in and press buttons to listen to messages

	Vacation autoresponder -- Tell people I won't be answering the phone (and when I will again) without making it ring

	Anonymity -- My number does not correspond to a real phone line, so it tells you nothing about my location, phone service, etc. I also use a toll-free number, which keeps me off the vast majority of telemarketing lists.

	Zach