[Cialug] Linux Trends for the new year

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Fri Dec 31 11:52:58 CST 2010

Attachmate has indicated that SUSE will continue as a product and will be run by a completely separate company/division/structure.

I have no worries on that front.  (now)

My full "predictions" will appear on my blog soon, but here's the nutshell as it applies to Linux.

Warning, my crystal ball tends to get stuck on "pessimism".

1) Linux will continue to not be adopted as the desktop of choice by lots and lots of people.
2) Linux will continue to be merged into other stuff like Android tablets, programmable modular systems, standalone media players and probably some sort of automated adult-themed robot thing 'cause folks are creative.
3) Linux will grow as a cloud OS, but folks won't care 'cause they'll just view it as an app platform.
4) Oracle will make lots of money off of slapping an Oracle sticker on stuff that's available for free elsewhere
5) The BSD crowd will continue to bicker over things that mostly don't matter and fork the OS a few more times
6) Red Hat will continue to release products too early and they'll have serious problems, but their certification will still be the most respected in the business world.
7) OpenSUSE and SLES will continue to be the best engineered Linux out there, but folks will continue to use Ubuntu instead, when they're not gaming or doing "real work" on Windows 7.
8) Apple will release something shiny and tons of folks will buy it.  It'll probably be called the iProjector and allow you to run Apple TV on any surface you want.  It'll run *nix at the core, but you won't be able to get to it, so no one will care.

Josh More | Senior Security Consultant - CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, GIAC-GCIH
Alliance Technologies | www.AllianceTechnologies.net
400 Locust St., Suite 840 | Des Moines, IA 50309
515.245.7701 | 888.387.5670 x7701

Santa is Secure.  Are you?
http://www.alliancetechnologies.net/security/santa-2010

How are we doing? Let us know here: