[Cialug] Ubuntu shared drive

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Dec 15 16:35:27 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Dan Hockey <icepuck3k at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well it seems to be working now. I can right click on a folder and share it
> but...
> The thing I'm still trying to figure out is how to share the entire second
> hdd where all my "data" I want to keep is at.

Can you find the mounted drive in the file manager and right click and share
it?

If not, then basically:

1. mount the drive (I'd put it in /etc/fstab)
2. edit samba.conf and copy the working section and change the shared name
and path to point to your external drive
3. restart samba and wait a couple min for it to show up across the network

The only problem I foresee is permissions. Depending on how your fs is
mounted you may run into read/write permission errors.

> "This is only temporary ... unless it works." - Red Green

Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin