[Cialug] OT: Cheap Laptops

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Dec 8 09:57:32 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:38 AM, John Roach <jroach at simplicitysys.com> wrote:

> Okay, strange question for everyone. Anyone have any idea were to get a
> $200.00 laptop? I need one for my daughter to use for school and her
> mp3's. I would like to avoid netbooks if possible.

I often get Dell Latitude notebooks for under $200 on e-bay, often with
warranty still on them. They are a very common machine for big business
leases. Look for a Latitude D630 for an average sized machine that I often
find for about $100. Unfortunately, this is not the time of year to get a
great deal on e-bay, but still, under $200 is do-able.

See:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-LATITUDE-D630-CORE-2-DUO-1-8GHZ-DVDRW-WI-FI-LAPTOP-/110621826089?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item19c1931c29

If you ask them for the service tag number you can check it on the dell
website to see if it has warranty. I bought a D430 (12" ultra portable) for
about $200 in Jan/Feb and its warranty expired in Sept. A lot of those had 3
year warranties w/ on-site service.

The D620 and D630 are very very similar to each other as are the D420 and
D430. There's also a D820 and D830 but they're bigger and I personally don't
like big laptops (so have no personal experience with them).

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin