[Cialug] apache2 authentication with Windows PDC

Tim Champion timchampion at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 11:49:57 CST 2010

I've been banging my head against a wall for a day or so here.

I have an Ubuntu web server running apache2. What I want to do is have a
certain directory path (this path is browse-able, anybody is currently able
to view and download raw files) and I want a specific directory protected
with http authentication, and for that authentication to be against the
Windows PDC (in the same network).

I've found this:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/man3/Apache2::AuthenNTLM.3pm.html
which tells me to use NTLM authentication, there's not enough information
here to get things working.

What I have now is a <Location> section in apache2.conf that looks similar
to what is in the above link.  I am, of course, plugging in all my network
specific stuff (pdc, domain name, etc) I'm not really seeing anything in
error logs, I just get a Internal Server error on Firefox/Ubuntu, and a
"Forbidden" page on IE/Windows when I try and browse to the path.

so, I guess I'm asking if anybody had done this sort of thing before, and if
so, can you point me in the right direction here?  I just don't have any
feeling for how to troubleshoot this. No logs I can find are updating on
failure.

Tim Champion
timchampion at gmail.com