[Cialug] SMTP Proxy

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Sun Aug 29 11:11:03 CDT 2010

My feeling is that unless you're doing something stupid with it, netcat isn't going to let an attacker in.  Sure, it's useful to an attacker if they manage to get in, but if they do manage to get in, it's trivial to upload their own netcat *.  In fact, most of the attacker tools do this for you as a point and click operation.

You might as well take the benefit from netcat, otherwise it's just useful to the attackers.

* Note:  If you're running a fully hardened system with SELinux or AppArmor, this is reduced.

-Josh More, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, GIAC-GCIH, RHCE, NCLP
morej at alliancetechnologies.net
515-245-7701