[Cialug] OT - Photo Laser paper

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Fri Aug 27 10:07:40 CDT 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Matt Breitbach wrote:

> I'm mainly looking for something to do "decent" looking prints from that's
> got a decent weight to it and represents colors well.  The 22 pound crap
> that I use for day to day printing is not the greatest for any photos (still
> not bad though).

Don't know about your specific printer, but we get excellent results from
24lb glossy white paper.

As laser printr 'melts' toner onto the paper, it makes a glossy finish
that looks like a regular picture as long as the substrate is decent.

> I've read all of the advice about inkjet glossy paper and I've never been a
> fan of glossy photos. I've always had mine professionally done as matte, so
> that's no biggie.

Inkjet glossy paper is as much about keeping the ink on the surface of the
paper for maximum visibility as the glossy finish.

> As far as the cost goes, right now I'm into the printer for 30 bucks, fully
> functional with all of the toners (granted, they're all 20-30% full).  It'll
> do 2400x600 dpi printing (2400 black, 600 color if I'm reading that right)

For a lot of printers with asymmetrical resolution, you get 2400 dpi
horozintally (the print head), and 600 dpi vertically (along the paper
path).

Prime example - Epson. For many years, their print head [and scan head]
technology was far better than the mechanism itself (mostly because of the
pricepoint for that market segment).

What you have is most likely a 600 dpi printer - just like the big Konica
we got a few years ago.

> Mainly looking for something that someone has used that has a not-quite
> cardstock consistency that works well in color laser printers.

Look for 24lb (or 28lb) premium white paper - stay away from the glossy
stuff (unless you can find "Tahoe" from 20 years ago)

	Lee