[Cialug] Gimp/Photoshop challenge

Matt Stanton inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com
Thu Aug 26 21:04:46 CDT 2010

  Josh, you forgot to mention the handicaps each of us had.

Josh's handicap:  Not  professional graphics design person.
My handicap:  Running Photoshop CS4 in Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit, in
Virtualbox with 1024MB of ram dedicated to the VM, running on Ubuntu
10.04 LTS 64bit, on an Intel Atom dual-core cpu with 2GB of
single-channel ddr2-800MHz ram.  Oh god, it was slow... It took about
half the meeting to get it booted into windows with Photoshop open.

So I didn't really have the same amount of 'time' as Josh did.  You
could argue that this points towards the benefits of lower CPU/memory
usage of open-source software, though, because I would be willing to bet
that Gimp runs twice as fast on Linux as Photoshop does on Vista
Ultimate on similar hardware.  I can open Gimp up with no speed issues
on the nettop (outside of the VM, anyway).  Also, it seems that the Gimp
is capable of the same image quality that you would expect from Photoshop.

My verdict would be that if you are just starting out, and deciding to
learn how to use these graphics programs, just start learning Gimp and
Inkscape.  You are going to have to invest a lot of time and effort into
learning the OSS programs, just as you would with the Adobe products,
but if you start with the OSS ones, you don't have to worry about trying
to 'figure out how to do this thing I know how to do in Photoshop in
Gimp'.  Once you've spent years honing your skills with one program, you
aren't likely to want to switch.  This is true even between commercial,
closed-source programs... I learned on Illustrator, and because of that,
I cannot stand CorelDRAW.  They do the same stuff, but their UIs are
different enough that you can't just seamlessly switch between the two.

Also we didn't 'finish at the same time', because I wasn't really
'finished'.  This is just where I was at when Josh called 'Done!'  So I
really think Josh won.

-- Matt